Wednesday, June 06, 2007


This is the man behind the music. You've probably heard
his lilting ukulele version of Somewhere Over The
Rainbow. It's featured in the Free Hugs campaign of
YouTube fame. His name is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or "Iz"
for short. He was universally known and loved in his native
Hawaii. I say "was" because he died in 1997 at the age of
38. Can you picture a tiny ukulele lovingly and expertly
played by a 700 pound man with a beautiful voice?
-
(click on highlighted words for YouTube and Wikipedia links)

4 comments:

JLW said...

700?! Really?! Whoa, that's impressive...and slightly nauseating thinking about how much food he must have consumed in a day. I had no idea who he was, but I had heard his beautiful music.

Katie Lin said...

I really can. :) I love it a lot.

Sienna said...

this video never gets old. never.

Katie Lin said...

you said it!